Current Temperature

4.5°C

October 19, 2018 October 19, 2018

BI fire put out fairly quickly

Posted on January 17, 2018 by 40 Mile Commentator

By Justin Seward

Commentator/Courier

The Bow Island Fire Department was pressed in to duty at 5:10 p.m. on Jan. 15 as a fire broke out at a residence on Second Avenue East in the town.
The cause of the blaze was a wire shorting out in a socket going in to a light bulb.
Bow Island fire chief Kelly Byam said here was very little fire spread and smoke damage, however, the main damage was outside the basement window, where the inferno was ignited on the wooden stairs in the back deck area.
No one was home or injured in the blaze.
“Basically there was the bystanders throwing snow on it,” said Byam.
“They definitely helped the situation out. Then when we got there we had it extinguished fairly quickly. Then we went from there and did an overhaul and made sure there were no hidden fires anywhere.”
Byam wanted to remind homeowners that they need to make sure their electrical fixture are installed properly and safely.

Leave a Reply

Get More notariodigital
Log In To Comment Latest Paper Subscribe